Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Top 10 Reads of 2013

Where has the time flown? What a year it's been as far as books. I haven't read that much since I have been busy with writing and other things. It wasn't easy, but here is my top 10 list of books that I absolutely loved!


Chanda's Wars by Allan Stratton 
I first read “Chanda’s Wars” back in 2009. Four years later, I re-read this powerful tale of war, survival, and love. Read my review. Also check out my interview with Allan Stratton.







Paris: A Love Story by Kati Marton
Kati Marton’s memoir of lost loves and her tribute to the City of Lights will rekindle any memories of your own love with someone. Read my review.








If You Find Me by Emily Murdoch
A spectacular YA debut on two sisters and the dark secret that threatens to destroy them. Read my review.





The Crooked Branch by Jeanine Cummins
Jeanine Cummins gorgeous second novel explores a mother’s love and the surprising connections of the past to the present. Read my review.








Perla by Carolina De Robertis
A daughter’s revelations of her biological parents amidst one of the darkest chapters in Argentina’s history make for a thrilling second book. Beautiful, sensual, and lyrical.







A Marker to Measure Drift by Alexander Maksik
Alexander Maksik’s story of a young woman’s journey of horror and survival will haunt you and leave you in awe. Read my review.








Sacred by Elana K. Arnold
Another amazing YA debut of loss, renewal, and love. Read my review.









He's Gone by Deb Caletti
Deb Caletti’s adult debut will please both her YA fan base but the grown-up’s as well. Thrilling and heart rending. Read my review and my interview with Deb.







Exit Wounds: One Australian's War on Terror by John Cantwell

One of the most brutal memoirs about war that I’ve ever read. Filled with horror but with humanity, once you read this book, you won’t ever be the same. Read my review.






Running the Rift by Naomi Benaron 
Of all the books I’ve read about the Rwandan genocide, “Running the Rift” is one of the best and one that I urge everyone to read. A loving tribute to both the country and its people. Read my review.








Here are the honorable mentions that didn't make the top ten, but were equally amazing!












This Glittering World by T. Greenwood










The Comfort of Lies by Randy Susan Myers










You Are Not Here by Samantha Schutz










Open Heart by Elie Wiesel











Congrats to the authors for inspiring me as a writer and as a human. Most of all, thanks for making 2013 suck less. Happy Holidays and New Year's to all my followers!















1 comment:

DMS said...

What an exciting list of books! Especially since I haven't read any of them, but now I have more books to think about! I love finding out about other readers and their favorite books. Thanks for sharing. :)
~Jess