Thursday, March 03, 2011

Book Review: "Sarah's Key" Tatiana de Rosnay

 Date Finished- Mar, 2009

I'm sure for every book junkie they have come across a book that not only was unforgettable but has changed them in someway. For me, one of those books was "Sarah's Key" the breathtaking and extraordinary debut novel by Tatiana de Rosnay. American journalist Julia Jarmond is assigned to cover the story of the Vel' d Hiv round up of thousands of French Jews, including children, in June of 1942. Julia discovers the story of Sarah, a ten year old who was rounded up with her family and taken to the death camps. When Julia learns of Sarah escaping, she finds a heartbreaking secret that links her to the little girl. It is a simple story of how the past can change the present and the resilience of the human spirit.I don't think I have ever wept so deeply after I finished this beautiful story. There is a quote by author Augusten Burroughs that sums up my feelings for this book: "This is the shocking, profoundly moving and morally challenging story...  It will haunt you, it will help to complete you… nothing short of miraculous.”

1 comment:

Euphoria13 said...

I really need to check out this book. Great review! :)