Friday, July 19, 2013

Review: The Rest of Us by Jessica Lott

Publication Date: July 2, 2013 - Simon & Schuster
Date Read: July 19, 2013
Source: Edelwiess (Direct from the publisher)

When Terry, a photographer's assistant, stumbles upon the obituary of Rhinehart, her former poetry professor/former lover, she is heartbroken. But to her everlasting shock, she bumps into him at Bloomingdale's very much alive. With the memories of their turbulent and volatile love affair, Terry realizes that this could be a second chance for their friendship and her own life.
 At first, the story seemed to start off well. But as I read on, I was bogged down by Rhinehart and Terry's relentless dilemma over her lost love. Rhinehart appeared to me to be pompous and superior and I honestly couldn't connect with him. I felt a connection with Terry as the college student, and as a struggling artist. The one thing I liked was the setting of New York City and Lott does a good job in that aspect. 
As a story, "The Rest of Us" doesn't live up for me. But as an author, Jessica Lott has potential. It would be better to wait for her next book.


No comments: